Re: 2.9test9-mm1 and DAO ATAPI cd-burning corrupt

From: Prakash K. Cheemplavam
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 04:59:42 EST

Jens Axboe wrote:
On Wed, Nov 05 2003, Prakash K. Cheemplavam wrote:

Jens Axboe wrote:

On Mon, Nov 03 2003, Prakash K. Cheemplavam wrote:

Hi,

well I am using k3b0.10.1 and either choosing cdrdao or cdrecord in DAO mode to burn the cd ends up in non-bit identical copies, wheres ion TAO (atleast with my 10x CD-RW I tested) the copy succeded. I tried several times, and always got this issue.

bash-2.05b$ md5sum livecd-2.6_10-23-2003.iso
f73f3a74239dfe94b322b85fd14a306e livecd-2.6_10-23-2003.iso

TAO:
bash-2.05b$ md5sum /dev/cdroms/cdrom1
f73f3a74239dfe94b322b85fd14a306e /dev/cdroms/cdrom1

DAO:
bash-2.05b$ md5sum /dev/cdroms/cdrom1
09e7e2a51af4c64685831513fbac18c2 /dev/cdroms/cdrom1

Could you please try and cmp the two images, finding out how big the
corrupted chunks are and what kind of data they contain?

After some further investigation I found out, that the data is NOT corrupted, but in a way truncated in DAO mode: When I read out the image from the CD-RW drive, about 5kbyte are missing at the end (and doing several burn, it is always the same amount). Strange enough if I read the DAO burnt disk out by my DVD-ROM, the image can be read out completely! Can you understand this behaviour? I don't think it is a problem of my burner, but rather of the atapi driver?

This is not a problem per-se (you can read the files, right?), it's just
an artifact of burning the images differently. When you say truncated,
do you mean that actual data is missing?

I am not an expert of iso image structure, but I would say yes. The original iso is about 5kb bigger than the image read after DAO burning. So when you imagine this truncated image would be burn, read, burnt etc, nothing of the original image would be left.

Prakash