Re: Using proc in chroot environments

From: Mark Mielke
Date: Sun Nov 02 2003 - 22:13:02 EST

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 09:49:34PM +0100, DervishD wrote:
> I'm using a chroot environment on my main disk as a 'crash test
> dummy', and I need to access the proc filesystem inside it. Since
> hard links are not allowed for directories, the only solution I can
> think of is to mount proc inside the chroot environment just after
> chrooting. This works, I've tested, but I have two problems:
> The perfect solution for me is to hardlink the proc directory of
> the chrooted environment to the proc directory on the true root dir,
> but since this is not possible, whan can I do instead of remounting a
> second copy of proc (which, by the way, makes /proc/mounts a little
> bit weird...)?

It sounds to me, as if you want something like UML... :-)

chroot environments are traditionally quite minimal, meaning that they
usually don't require /dev/pts, /proc, etc.

One approach that I have seen taken, is for privileged information to be
queried through a non-chroot'ed process by the chroot'ed process.

mark

--
mark@xxxxxxxxx/markm@xxxxxx/markm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx __________________________
. . _ ._ . . .__ . . ._. .__ . . . .__ | Neighbourhood Coder

and in the darkness bind them...

http://mark.mielke.cc/