Re: [OOPS] Linux-2.6.0-test9

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Nov 02 2003 - 22:03:23 EST

Udo A. Steinberg wrote:

> I just noticed that my last report was actually the second OOPS in a whole
> series. Here is the first one.
>
> Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 50d35f7c
> EIP is at __d_lookup+0xf2/0x150

Ok, looks like your dentry lists got seriously corrupted.

The good news (?) is that you seem to have preempt enabled, and there is one
known (but fairly hard-to-hit) race in UP+preempt locking due to bad
barrier ordering in test9 (and all previous kernels too, for that matter).
That should be fixed in the current BK snapshots, but you can also avoid
the problem by just not enabling preempt.

Of course, if you see the bug without preempt, or if this was on a SMP
kernel (which _should_ have hidden the preempt problem even with preempt
enabled), holler.

Linus