Responsiveness of 2.6.0-Test9

From: Erwin Telser
Date: Sun Nov 02 2003 - 16:46:36 EST

Are there things to observe when switching from 2.4 to 2.6, if I want the same
responsiveness? I'm asking because I' ve made the following observation. (I
always had the feeling, 2.4 seems to faster, but this is the first time it' s
very obvious)

I' ve connected two monitors on a Matrox G550. One runs with DRI the other one
doesn't (not possible with the current driver). The Monitor with DRI I'm
using as a TV Set, watching movies with xawtv. (With a bttv 878 tuner card).

Now with the 2.4.22 kernel (preemptible patch aplied) I can play the little
game kbounce on the other monitor, without to notice any slowdown, no matter,
whether xawtv is running or not.

But with the 2.6 Kernel (compiled with preemptible option) the bouncing balls
slow down considerably, as soon as I move the mouse.

I know the whole thing is a little foolish. But anyway, are there some tricks
to get the same responsiveness?

Erwin