Re: make htmldocs

From: Karel Kulhavý
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 09:43:35 EST

> http://freshmeat.net/projects/docbook-utils/

Tried this. It wants jade. Installed jade. jade is a X Window
System appliaction. During compilation of
docbook-utils-0.6.13 I got a message:
Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

I am doing this on a router where I have no X server. How can
I view Linux Kernel HTML documentation on a router where I have got only
an ssh access and no X server?

I suggest considering replacing the DocBook bloatware for something
more sane in the kernel tree. You could maybe generate the html
docs yourself and simply put them somewhere into the Documentation/
directory into the kernel sources. Or at least on the web, but then
the people offline couldn't even read the instruction manual for their
kernel.

> Dude, he was just trying to ask what distro you use, in order to help you
> out. Of course how you install it changes based on the distro you're
> using.

I don't use any distro. I have compiled my operating system from scratch.

> > If there doesn't exist any distribution-idependent installation process
> > for "DocBook stylesheets", then "DocBook stylesheets" is not portable,
> > and transitively, "Linux Kernel" is not portable.
>
> Given than most Linux distros are open source themselves, and that the

Your talk about distros is OT. I don't have any distro. I have built my
system from the source. I just
want to know how to build the kernel HTML docs.

I have built Gnome, Qt, Xfree86, gcc, glibc, j2sdk1.4.1 and mozille from
sources, but haven't used dpkg or rpm yet.

If Linux Kernel is package-only, please tell me. I will do a cat /dev/zero >
/dev/hda then and move on to OBSD then.