Re: 2.7 thoughts: common well-architected object model

From: asdfd esadd
Date: Sat Oct 11 2003 - 12:57:14 EST

it's exposing many of the syscalls into relevant
user-space objects which makes the other OSs approach
neat. Coming from the kernel an outline of a common
object model should be suggested which is then
actually populated and refined futher by e.g. the GUI
folks.

The other way around has shown not to work with the
many application-designed component frameworks out
there. In the other OS you'll be able to do things in
I/O, process, GUI, data access etc. in a quite similar
way. The current permutation in Linux for putting
together an application is staggering, which can force
people to use the lowest common denominator - like
libc.a ;) - it's actually not funny.

A core component model has to be defined by the kernel
group and then trickle upward. That's the only way
where you can sufficiently design in performance and
security(*) considerations which I agree should allow
Linux to scale as well as it does.

(*) good example for the opportunity in leaping the
other OS here: there is another big void in a sound
security component properties right now. COM+ has
quite a bit in it, but there is much more which could
be done and people are keen on it. Another item where
Linux could start to define the envelope.