Re: 2.7 thoughts

From: jw schultz
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 22:51:14 EST

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 08:29:18PM +0200, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> On 2003-10-10T08:30:03,
> Kevin Corry <kevcorry@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
>
> > On Friday 10 October 2003 01:19, Stuart Longland wrote:
> > > - Software RAID 0+1 perhaps?
>
> Because RAID 0+1 is a rather bad idea. You want RAID 1+0. Make up the
> fault matrix and simulate what happens if drives fail.
>
> We can do both though, as Kevin pointed out. So if you want to shot
> yourself in the foot, in the best Unix tradition, we allow you to ;)

I concur with one caviat. 0+1 has the advantage of
extendability that doesn't exist with 1+0.

1. break mirror downing side A
2. break stripe A
3. build new stripe A with added disk(s)
4. copying stripe B to stripe A
5. break stripe B
6. build new stripe B with added disk(s)
7. build mirror (A->B)

It may even be possible to do this live. So if gradual
extendability is more important than surviving multiple
failures 0+1 has the advantage. Normally i prefer the
reliability or to do striping at the logical volume level.