Re: Kernel includefile bug not fixed after a year :-(

From: Andreas Steinmetz
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 07:29:22 EST

Jens Axboe wrote:
On Tue, Sep 30 2003, Andreas Steinmetz wrote:

Jens Axboe wrote:

I think I do.

In order to use kernel interfaces you _need_ to include kernel include
files.

False. You need to include the glibc kernel headers.

Then please tell me why PPPIOCNEWUNIT is only defined in linux/if_ppp.h and not net/if_ppp.h which is still true for glibc-2.3.2. And please don't tell me to ask the glibc folks. There are inconsistencies between kernel headers and userland headers which force the inclusion of kernel headers in userland applications.

I will tell you to talk to the glibc folks, because that's where your
problem is.

I don't think so. If ioctls are introduced in the kernel the kernel people should propagate these to the glibc people. I don't think it is the task of userland developers.
But then this is my point of view and I don't think it necessary to discuss this further.

--
Andreas Steinmetz
D.O.M. Datenverarbeitung GmbH