Re: how to set multicast MAC ligitemately?

From: Alexey V. Yurchenko
Date: Sat Sep 27 2003 - 08:05:14 EST

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:03:45 -0700
Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Not interface should have a multicast MAC address. A multicast address
> should only exist as a destination address, never a source.

Well, that's in theory. In practice I need several computers connected to a switch to share a single interface and look to the rest of LAN as a single node. All those computers must receive all packets desitned to that interface. Using non-multicast MAC confuses many switches.

Any suggestions? (Except not using a switch ;))

Regards,
Alex

PS isn't this approach (forbidding certain addresses) a tad Microsoftish? Like saving users from themselves? If