Kernel panic:Unable to mount root fs (2.6.0-test5)

From: Jean-Marc Spaggiari
Date: Sat Sep 27 2003 - 08:05:14 EST

(as you can see, i'm a newbie of english speeking, and linux-kernel posting, so, excuse me if this is a duplicate contribution, I have search on the web and on the archive and fine nothing about this error.)

Error message :
VFS : Cannot open root device "302" or unknown-block(3,2)
Please append a corect "root=" boot option
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,2)

Kernel version : 2.6.0-test5

System : Toshiba Satellite laptop

More information : Linux is installe on /deh/hda2. There 2 other kernel on this computer. A 2.2.20 and a 2.4.22, both of them working fine. Ia have try many differend option for compile the kernel, but never working any more. My /dev/hda2 is on ext3.

I will try soon on my other systems.

I will be hapy if I can help in any kind, so, at this time, i'm going back to 2.4.22. (Need I to poste my .config here ?)

Regards,

Jean-Marc Spaggiari (QC.CA)