Re: NS83820 2.6.0-test5 driver seems unstable on IA64

From: David S. Miller
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 14:34:44 EST

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 21:16:33 +0200
Andreas Schwab <schwab@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Or the compiler generates code to take advantage of the fact that the
> lower address bits are zero.

The only place where I can se it doing this legally is for structure
offsets. For example where a "load 4 byte word" instruction takes an
offsetable address composed of a reg and an integer offset where the
integer offset must be a multiple of 4.

This rule we do abide by in the kernel, because PARISC requires this.

Anything more is asking for trouble, I wouldn't want to use such a compiler
in the real world :)