[OFFTOPIC] Re: ATTACK TO MY SYSTEM

From: Russell King
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 07:18:28 EST

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 02:01:24PM +0200, Jan Evert van Grootheest wrote:
> Me too.
> And I won't be able to kill off this account.
> I thought another virus had popped up! Many of them have their
> attachments removed by the virusscanner.

The collateral effects caused by email-based virus scanner software
creating bounces to faked email addresses is getting to be more of a
problem to control than the viruses themselves.

I've recently been getting mails from sites "helpfully" informing me
that someone tried to send me a virus - they're not helpful at all.

I suggest that anyone receiving such things complain to the originating
site - if the virus is known to use faked sender addresses, it is
irresponsible for any site to generate a bounce.

When there are enough complaints to mail server admins, hopefully the
philosophy will change.

Any further discussion of this topic should be done off list.

--
Russell King (rmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/personal/
maintainer of: 2.6 PCMCIA - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/