Re: What's the point of __KERNEL_SYSCALLS__?

From: Johannes Stezenbach
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 12:24:31 EST

Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> Given that, why should they exist? It only encourages monstrosities
> like sp8870_read_code() in drivers/media/dvb/frontends/alps_tdlb7.c that
> probably don't work anyway.
> read is used by DVB and the wavefront sound driver
> lseek is only used by DVB
> open is used by DVB, init/main.c and wavefront.
> close is used by wavefront. (DVB calls sys_close directly).

Those binary-only firmwares are a curse :-(

Anyway, we want to replace all our firmware loading code and the
compiled-in firmwares with the firmware_class loader as soon as
there is a usable hotplug agent available. There already are some
experimental patches for av7110.c in linuxtv.org CVS.

Johannes