Re: Fix for wrong OOM killer trigger?

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Sat Sep 20 2003 - 08:55:34 EST

On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 01:22:42PM +0100, Bernd Schmidt wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > Sooner or later, I expect the more reasonable people out there to explain
> > to you that your actions are hurting them and maybe they'll help you
> > decide which is more important, getting at the data you want, in a timely
> > manner, without a license, or doing negative advertising against us.
> > If the other folks don't care enough to do that then that's fine, the
> > gateways are not important and you can whine all you want but you'll be
> > back to waiting for tarball releases and we can save some money.
>
> Thank you for demonstrating exactly _why_ closed source software is bad.
> Your posts clearly show that with a closed-source solution, you put
> yourself at the mercy of a single vendor, and have to put up with whatever
> demands and threats he feels like making.

Larry didn't show anything related to whether closed source is bad or not,
he simply tried to explain that someone has to PAY to host all those gateways
and that since HE actually pays for them, he at least expects not to be the
subject of permanent complaints, or he will finally stop paying for those. If
you have the lines, the machine and the time to do this yourself, perhaps you
could propose Larry to do it yourself then complain about his closed source
software which you're not forced to use.

Now please, please... before RMS jumps into the wagon again, stop using every
mail which contains the two letters B and K as the pretext to start a new war.

Thanks,
Willy

PS: replies to this mail will go to /dev/null, so please don't pollute the list.