A couple of 2.4.23-pre4 VM nits

From: Shantanu Goel
Date: Sat Sep 20 2003 - 08:40:17 EST

Hi Andrea,

The VM fixes perform rather well in my testing
(thanks!), but I noticed a couple of glitches that the
attached patch addresses.

1. max_scan is never decremented in shrink_cache(). I
am assuming this is a typo.

2. The second part of the patch makes sure that
inode/dentry caches are shrunk at least once every 5
secs. On a machine with a heavy inode stat/directory
lookup load (e.g. NFS server), most of the memory
winds up sitting idle in unused inodes/dentry. The
present code only reclaims these when a swap_out()
happens or shrink_caches() fails. This can take a
while on a machine will very few mapped pages such as
an NFS server.

Thanks,
Shantanu