Re: Make modules_install doesn't create /lib/modules/$version

From: Rob Landley
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 14:21:06 EST

On Friday 19 September 2003 12:01, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 11:10, Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> > Martin Schlemmer writes:

> > > Likely, it works fine here with the one we are using
> > > from debianutils.
> >
> > So how come it's never been a problem on my RH boxes?
> > (Currently RH9 + module-init-tools but none of Arjan's .rpms)
> >
> > I basically do
> > make bzImage modules |& tee /tmp/log
> > grep Warning /tmp/log
> > su
> > make modules_install
> > make install
> >
> > Creating the /lib/modules/<version> directory is the kernel's
> > job, not installkernel (it's never done that before).
>
> Yes, OK, so I have not checked =) I just reacted on if
> installkernel form non RH misbehave or not.

The kernel isn't doing it. A script called from installkernel (in Red Hat 9)
calls depmod, which has to be Rusty's new depmod or it doesn't create the
directory. This means depmod is running against the OLD modules.

I've been bitten by this before, by the way. I switched from an accidental
SMP kernel to a UP kernel on my laptop, and the install complained about
unresolved SMP symbols in the modules. (This is how I got in the habit of
doing make modules_install before make install, which I thought might also be
responsible for the directory creation problem, but wasn't. Neither creates
the directory: depmod does).

Rob