Re: Make modules_install doesn't create /lib/modules/$version

From: Rob Landley
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 14:08:52 EST

On Thursday 18 September 2003 22:25, Rusty Russell wrote:
> In message <20030918091511.276309a6.rddunlap@xxxxxxxx> you write:
> > On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 03:21:40 -0400 Rob Landley <rob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > | I've installed -test3, -test4, and now -test5, and each time make
> > | modules_install died with the following error:
> > |
> > | Kernel: arch/i386/boot/bzImage is ready
> > | sh arch/i386/boot/install.sh 2.6.0-test5 arch/i386/boot/bzImage
> > | System.map "" /lib/modules/2.6.0-test5 is not a directory.
>
> Looks like arch/i386/boot/install.sh is calling ~/bin/installkernel or
> /sbin/installkernel, which is not creating the directory.
>
> Should depmod create the directory? It can, of course, but AFAICT the
> old one didn't.
>
> Maybe a RedHat issue?
>
> Rusty.

Okay, I traced through all this. The directory is never explicitly created;
Red Hat's /sbin/installkernel calls /sbin/new-kernel-pkg, and deep in the
bowels of that there's a call to depmod:

doDepmod() {
[ -n "$verbose" ] && echo "running depmod for $version"
depmod -ae -F /boot/System.map-$version $version
}

And I had the old depmod because rusty's modutils installed themselves in
/usr/local/bin, and I fixed things up by hand (missing depmod). I just did a
reinstall of rusty's modutils with --prefix=/ and we'll see if that fixes
things on the next kernel upgrade.

It's still kind of a nasty side effect if you ask me. I thought depmod was
run AFTER the modules were installed, not to create the directory for them to
install into. (My chances of figuring this one out on my own in a finite
amount of time were pretty low.)

Rob