Re: Changes in siimage driver?

From: Arve Knudsen
Date: Wed Sep 17 2003 - 14:58:49 EST

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:09:54 +0200, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <B.Zolnierkiewicz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Well, I understand that, but the older version of the driver (as of
test4-mm4) doesn't have these problems (better performance according to
hdparm, no corruption). The latest changes to the driver seems to have
introduced problems, or is it just me?

You are the first person reporting problems after syncing siimage driver with
2.4.x ;-). It's unlikely that corruption is caused by siimage driver update,
we should have seen similar problems with 2.4.x, but...
Yes, it's weird, but it happened the first time I tried the test5 kernel. Not a good feeling, sitting with directories you can't even delete :\ The computer had been up for some time (12 hours or so), and several files I had open for editing were zeroed out when I opened them after reboot. Could it have to do with my Maxtor DiamondMax drive perhaps? I guess most people got Seagate SATA drives, I've since then purchased a Seagate 7200.7 SATA to complement the Maxtor.

Performance is crippled because of workaround for buggy controllers.
We turn it on unconditionally now, we should do it only on affected
controllers. I believe freebsd's workaround is correct and we can adopt it.
For more details please see the other thread regarding siimage.
Sounds great, I think I will migrate to a newer kernel once I have done some proper backups to an unmounted partition :]

Thanks

Arve Knudsen