Re: nforce2 lockups

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 07:28:43 EST

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 10:41:46 +0900, kenton.groombridge@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>I had done this before but without the nolapic option. That appears to have been the solution. Ran a whole day without one lockup where before 10 minutes was rarely achieved.
>It looks like the nolapic kernel parameter was just recently introduced. I tried it in both the 2.4.22-rc2 kernel and the 2.6.0-test3 kernel with success in both.
>
>Would still like apic to be completely fixed in the nforce2 chipsets, but I am just happy to have a working system again.

"nolapic" does not exist in standard 2.4.22-rc2 or 2.6.0-test3 kernels.
The patch which added nolapic support was included in 2.6.0-test3-bk8,
and 2.6.0-test<2or3>-mm<something> before that.

Passing nolapic to a kernel which doesn't recognise it causes it to
simply be passed through to init, with no error message.
So either you used non-standard versions of 2.4.22-rc2/2.6.0-test3,
or nolapic wasn't the thing that fixed your nforce2 board.

"noapic" (note: no "l") might very well fix your board, but that's
a completely different animal: it disables the I/O-APIC, which
handles board-level interrupt routing. In a kernel that supports it,
"nolapic" effectively also disables the I/O-APIC.

acpi=off or pci=noacpi might also fix the board, if ACPI is busted.

/Mikael