Re: usb-storage: how to ruin your hardware(?)

From: jw schultz
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 20:10:46 EST

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 02:35:43PM +0200, Ihar 'Philips' Filipau wrote:
> Maciej Soltysiak wrote:
> >
> >Maybe a message of caution should be displayed in usb-storage
> >configure help about attemtping to change partitions and/or filesystems on
> >USB storage devices.
> >

> The stuff I have met with CompactFlash cards (*without* USB) - they
> by default were coming formated with single FAT12 partition - no
> partition table whatsoever.
> I had no problems with partitioning and formating (in IDE emulation
> mode).
>
> But Windoz2kOfBugs was refusing to work with flashes which had
> partition table, and was working Okay with /original/ FAT12 formated
> flashes. Windoz wasn't even trying to read partition table, always
> showing flash as one drive - and sure it was reporting stupid errors
> when you were trying to do something with partitioned flash.
>
> It looks like /agreement/ (with The Beast) that flashe/memory card
> has to have FAT12.

To flesh this out.

Both using PC card adapter and USB the SmartMedia cards i've
used do have partition tables with only partition 1 being
defined. The filesystem type and ID has been either a FAT12
or FAT16 depending on size.

I have not tried changing the table or filesystem type since
i use them almost exclusively for the digicams.