Re: usb-storage: how to ruin your hardware(?)

From: Ihar 'Philips' Filipau
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 07:40:17 EST

Maciej Soltysiak wrote:

Maybe a message of caution should be displayed in usb-storage
configure help about attemtping to change partitions and/or filesystems on
USB storage devices.

The stuff I have met with CompactFlash cards (*without* USB) - they by default were coming formated with single FAT12 partition - no partition table whatsoever.
I had no problems with partitioning and formating (in IDE emulation mode).

But Windoz2kOfBugs was refusing to work with flashes which had partition table, and was working Okay with /original/ FAT12 formated flashes. Windoz wasn't even trying to read partition table, always showing flash as one drive - and sure it was reporting stupid errors when you were trying to do something with partitioned flash.

It looks like /agreement/ (with The Beast) that flashe/memory card has to have FAT12.

No comments.