Re: Dumb question: Why are exceptions such as SIGSEGV not logged

From: Ihar 'Philips' Filipau
Date: Sun Aug 17 2003 - 07:45:55 EST

Doug McNaught wrote:

You can still DoS by forking repeatedly and having the child die with
SEGV...

We had a problems with synchronization between CPU and memory.
But the problem was showing up us random crashes of applications with SIGSEGV and (rarely) SIGILL.

But still to prove bug is not in Linux kernel and not in software we have killed three weeks, just to find out that Motorola has forgotten to publish one errata for their CPU.

Probably to have an option to log this kind of signals would be useful. Because just blindly killing applications - is not correct too.

I will vote for 'if unhandled -> log it' ;-)