Re: Kernel 2.6 size increase

From: Ihar \ (filia@softhome.net)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 13:02:12 EST

Tom Rini wrote:

>> You didn't get my point.
>> My appliances do not need sleep/shutdown at all.
>> Not every embedded system is a handheld ;-)
>

> That certainly is true, yes. They might want to power things down when
> the user isn't there (or maybe they don't, I don't know what you're
> making :)). And I did originally say 'some'.

   Can you imagine teapot?
   State of your system - on/off. Power saving as done by user herself:
power is consumed only when user want to boil the water ;-)

   Two devices I was working on were little bit more complicated and I
had internal UPS to be able to handle power offs/fails gracefuly (like
switching off of LCD + save of the mechanics state).

   As for me - I already expressed my point on subject: we should fix
compiler and language (C's inline is definitely not ehough to express
our intentions to compiler). That's the compiler should be optimized to
gain space for performace or gain performance for space.

   And sure kernel should be more configurable too.