Re: Contributing to the kernel while being employed

From: Henning P. Schmiedehausen (hps@intermeta.de)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 07:58:55 EST

Anuradha Ratnaweera <anuradha@ratnaweera.net> writes:

>Before working for a commercial organization, one usually has to sign a
>contract which makes all the work done during the period of employment
>(including innovations, "hobby" coding done during "after hours")
>copyrighted by the employer. This introduces various problems when one

This is neither possible in Germany ("sittenwidrig") nor can an
employer slap a Copyright on code that you've wrote in your free time
(Copyright stays with the Author (This is "Urheberrecht" und
"Verwertungsrecht" in Germany)).

Exec summary: Don't sign such an agreement. Sounds like slavery to me.

        Regards
                Henning

Java, perl, Solaris, Linux, xSP Consulting, Web Services freelance consultant -- Jakarta Turbine Development -- hero for hire

"You are being far too rational for this discussion." --- Scott Robert Ladd in <3F1874B0.6030507@coyotegulch.com> - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/