Re: fun or real: proc interface for module handling?

From: Mĺns Rullgĺrd (mru@users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 07:34:01 EST

Nico Schottelius <nico-kernel@schottelius.org> writes:

> I was just joking around here, but what do you think about this idea:
>
> A proc interface for module handling:
> /proc/mods/
> /proc/mods/<module-name>/<link-to-the-modules-use-us>
>
> So we could try to load a module with
> mkdir /proc/mods/ipv6
> and remove it and every module which uses us with
> rm -r /proc/mods/ipv6

So far, so good.

> Modul options could be passed my
> echo "psmouse_noext=1" > /proc/mods/psmouse/options
> which would also make it possible to change module options while running..

How would options be passed when loading? Some modules require that
to load properly. Also, there are lots of options that can't be
changed after loading. To enable this, I believe the whole option
handling would need to be modified substantially. Instead of just
storing the values in static variables, there would have to be some
means of telling the module that its options changed. Then there's
the task of hacking all modules to support this...

--
Mĺns Rullgĺrd
mru@users.sf.net