Re: Feature proposal (scheduling related) -- conclusion

From: jimis@gmx.net
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 14:28:50 EST

Thank you all very much for your answers, I 've learned a lot. However I have
some comments to make concerning the two proposals I made:

1) Network traffic scheduling. I 've studied a little the linux advanced routing
and traffic control HOWTO and the wondershaper script and I think they are
great, I had no idea of this potential. But what I propose is scheduling the
network traffic (at least the outgoing traffic that we can influence directly)
according to the process priority, not according to the traffic type (which is
important but different).

2) Disk I/O scheduling, again according to the process priority. From some posts
I found out that there was a patch that did that, but I don't know where it is
or if it is up to date with newer kernels.

I hope I clarified myself and I believe these features would be useful if
included in the kernel.

Thanks,
Dimitris

P.S. Please forward me any replies