Re: Ingo Molnar and Con Kolivas 2.6 scheduler patches

From: Con Kolivas (kernel@kolivas.org)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 08:57:19 EST

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 23:56, Timothy Miller wrote:
> First, since we're dealing with real-time and audio issues, is there any

Actually this is only a tiny part of this work and adequate improvement in
many different scheduler tweaks have already addressed this. This is now more
about maintaining good all round interactivity and fairness. Improving audio
beyond ordinary scheduling tweaks is another issue which may lead to some
form of soft user RR task. su tasks already can be reniced or made RR to
help.

> interactive processing in the desired time. I don't think we should be
> making scheduler tweaks to fix this corner case because it's impossible
> to fix, no?

Your concerns are well founded. However neither Ingo nor I (and all the other
contributors) are trying to make an audio app scheduler. At some stage a
modification will be made to the mainline kernel which will have adequate
audio performance in many (but not all) settings, and more importantly be
fair and interactive.

Con