Re: Ingo Molnar and Con Kolivas 2.6 scheduler patches

From: Timothy Miller (miller@techsource.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 08:56:09 EST

I have a couple of questions about the interactive scheduling.

First, since we're dealing with real-time and audio issues, is there any
way we can do this: When the interrupt arrives from the sound card so
that the driver needs to set up DMA for the next block or whatever it
does, move any processes which talk to an audio device to the head of
the process queue? Can this idea be applied to other things, such as
moving X to the head of the queue when the DRI driver gets a "there is
free space in the command queue" interrupt from the graphics engine?

Second, we're dealing with lots of different CPUs here, and so results
are going to vary. Is this being taken into account? For any given
interactive load, different systems will be able to carry that load only
to the point where one has a CPU slow enough that it can't complete all
interactive processing in the desired time. I don't think we should be
making scheduler tweaks to fix this corner case because it's impossible
to fix, no?