Re: The Well-Factored 386

From: Gene Heskett (gene.heskett@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2003 - 23:25:44 EST

On Monday 28 July 2003 23:49, Larry McVoy wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 02:27:32AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
>> On Maw, 2003-07-29 at 01:34, jw schultz wrote:
>> > Now if we could cut off the threads about BK (as opposed to
>> > bk servers) started by anyone other than Larry...
>>
>> Even better - by Larry too, excepting when its kernel relevant
>> like downtimes, updates etc
>
>Dave and Linus cc-ed me on the vger crackdown discussions and I
> offered to unsubscribe from the kernel list if it would help.
> Dave's comment was that I don't start the wars, which is probably
> true. I tend to respond to attacks, not go looking for fights.
> I'd be curious to know when it is that you think I've started a
> flame fest here, Alan.
>
>I'm here for two reasons, I like OS topics and I want to support BK.
>That latter one is a problem, the same character traits which make
>me want to help people when they have problems are the ones that
> make me participate in the BK flames. If the kernel community is
> ready to operate on a lower level of support from us, I'll bow out.
> It hasn't been pleasant being here for the last couple of years
> and I'd prefer to be gone.

As I've been lurking here for a while, I can appreciate that ones skin
gets a bit tender after a while Larry. OTOH, your replies have
helped a lot of us lurkers to see a much more balanced view of the
so-called argument. Without your input, there aren't too many other
voices to stand up and be counted. FWIW, (not much I'm afraid) I'm
on your side. If the others want to do a similar program then they
know what they want it to do and they should go ahead and write it,
but IMO the users interface shouldn't be beholden to *anything* BK
does. If their offering is a better offering than BK, so be it,
we'll have YACVS. But, do it from a clean room, based only on what
the programmer thinks is important, not on something that attacks
your program, and even depends on it to be usefull.

In other words, stick around and balance the scales from time to time.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M