Re: OT: Vanilla not for embedded?! Re: Kernel 2.6 size increase - get_current()?

From: Ihar \ (filia@softhome.net)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 09:33:46 EST

Francois Romieu wrote:
>> Patches to remove mandatory (for 2.2/2.0) PCI/IDE support were pretty
>>common too.
>> Patch to shrink network hashes - norm of life.
>> Patch to kill PCI names database.
>> And this is only things I was using personally (and I remember about)
>>in my short 4 years carrier.
>
> Would you mind publishing the patches ?

   As I already answered privately - I do have them right now.
   And those patches were not mine.
   Most of them was collected right on lkml or from digests on lwn.net.

   [ I was playing only with network code - and I was concerned with
performance more, than with image size. And had no luck achiving
something. ]

>> CONFIG_TINY - http://lwn.net/Articles/14186/ - got something like
>>this merged? - so I'm the first guy in the download queue on ftp.kernel.org!
>

> See CONFIG_EMBEDDED.

   Okay. I have found it.
   But I cannot find how it is used.
   I have grepped thru 2.6.0-test0 - but I can find only entries in
defconfigs - but no mentions in .h/.c files.
   What I'm missing?

   And yes - this option doesn't work in 'make menuconfig'.

>> For some reasons all "improvements" to kernel had lead to increase of
>>kernel size, not decrease. Strange, isn't it?
>
> No time for sarcasm here.

   Correct me if I'm wrong.
   I was just poking around 'small is beatiful'.

P.S. To my earlier 'far from vanilla' comment (-x '.*' - to skip
.depend/.config/etc):
$ diff -urN -x '.*' ./linux-2.4.17 \
/opt/hardhat/devkit/lsp/ibm-walnut-ppc_405/linux-2.4.17_mvl21\
| wc -l
     1128089
$
and more than 500 additional CONFIG_* parameters comparing to vanilla.