Re: make menuconfig

From: Sam Ravnborg (sam@ravnborg.org)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 09:26:37 EST

On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 12:27:01PM +0300, Voicu Liviu wrote:

> >Works for me. Could you provide exact error-message etc.
>
> liviu@starshooter liviu $ su
> Password:
> liviu has logged on pts/0 from :0.0.
> liviu has logged on pts/1 from :0.0.
> liviu has logged on vc/1 from local.
> liviu has logged on vc/2 from local.
> starshooter /root# cd /usr/src/linux
> starshooter src/linux# make menuconfig
> Missing }.
> starshooter src/linux#

Too little context to determine where it goes wrong.
I tried with tcsh here with success.

Try the followings steps:

1) Do not compile as root. In general does as little as possible as root.
Only the kernel installlation requires root priviliges.

2) Try to run "make -n", that may hint where is goes wrong.

3) Do not locate the kernel src in /usr/src/linux - it will conflict with
glibc header files. No matter what a HOWTO say otherwise.

4) Try another shell, for instance bash.
Not that the kernel build should rely on bash only, but an approach to
get your kernel to compile.

        Sam