Re: Ingo Molnar and Con Kolivas 2.6 scheduler patches

From: Lou Langholtz (ldl@aros.net)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2003 - 11:42:38 EST

Con Kolivas wrote:

>. . .
>Actually this is not strange to me. It has become obvious that the problems
>with interactivity that have evolved in 2.5 are not scheduler related. Just
>try plugging in all the old 2.4 O(1) scheduler settings into the current
>scheduler and you will see that it still performs badly. What exactly is the
>cause is a mystery but seems to be more a combination of factors with a
>careful look at the way the vm behaves being part of that. . . .

Any chance that the problem may be due to the block layer system (and
block driver(s)) getting more cycles than it should? Particularly with
the out-of-band like work queue scheduling? That would at least explain
the scheduling oddities I'm seeing with 2.6.0-test1 after a minute of so
of intense I/O.