RE: Ingo Molnar and Con Kolivas 2.6 scheduler patches

From: Downing, Thomas (Thomas.Downing@ipc.com)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2003 - 09:44:19 EST

[snip]

Second the thanks.

I don't see much subjective difference between test1-mm(x) and
test1-G2. I've never gotten an audio skip anyway. The only
skipping I can get is video only skips under xine, but the audio
doesn't skip.

I guess this may be in part due to how I load the machine. Any
meaningful comparison of the two bodies of work would have to
be made with (at a minimum) a standard set of loads.

The way I loaded my machine (dual Xeon HT) to > 9 load average
was: 1. continuous loop 'ps -ef', 2. KDE make -j8, 3. pov-ray
rendering, 3. continuous bitmap operations in X.

What I've left to date is (among others): 1. heavy disk i/o load,
2. heavy network load, 3. deliberate memory torture.

Operations such as new terminal window, new browser, new Konquerer
etc, are slower of course, and somewhat jerky, but given a load
of 9, even Mozilla and Konquerer loaded in < 15 seconds, a new
terminal loaded and accepted keyboard input in less than 3.

So I wonder if the seemingly disparate results are weirdness,
or are they a combination of basic machine variations coupled
with loading variations?