Re: Ingo Molnar and Con Kolivas 2.6 scheduler patches

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@elte.hu)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 04:24:55 EST

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:

> [...] I feel that Con and Ingo work is starting to collide.

they do collide only on the patch level - both change the same code.
Otherwise, most of Con's tunings/changes are still valid with my patches
applied - and i'd more than encourage Con's work to continue! Watching the
tuning work i got the impression that the problem areas are suffering from
a lack of infrastructure, not from a lack of tuning. So i introduced 3 new
items: accurate statistics, on-runqueue boosting and timeslice
granularity. The fact that these items improved certain characteristics
(and fixed a couple of corner cases like test-starve.c) prove that it's a
step in the right direction. It's definitely not the final step.

        Ingo