Re: kernel 2.6.0-test1 refuses to boot on a PC with AMD Athlon XP 1800+

From: Ian Hastie (lkml@ordinal.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 06:07:34 EST

On Friday 25 Jul 2003 08:00, Jurriaan Kalkman wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I compiled the latest version of the kernel
> > 2.6.0-test1.
> >
> > I was able to successfully build the bzImage , but I
> > am not able to boot using this new kernel.
> > My Machine just stops after displaying the following
> >
> > "Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel "
> >
> > Nothing happens after this message, it just hangs
>
> There have been several reports like this. Please double check your
> .config, and search in the archives to find out how to enable your console
> and your keyboard etc. It is somewhat non-obvious at the moment.

The time I've had this problem is when I compiled the 2.6.0-test1 code with
Debian's gcc-3.3.1. When I recompiled with gcc-2.95.4, also Debian, it
booted with no problem. Gcc-3.3.1 *has* worked with everything from -ac1 on.
These have all been with the same basic configuration, ie console enabled and
keyboard compiled in. The system also needs to have pci=noacpi in the boot
parameters to get it to work properly.

Just for completeness here is the main hardware of my machine

CPU AMD Athlon XP 2100+, Palomino core IIRC
Motherboard ABit KR7A-133R, which uses the VIA KT266A chipset.
Memory Crucial 512MB DDR PC2100

.config files attached for 2.6.0-test1 and 2.6.0-test1-bk2

--
Ian.