Re: [uClinux-dev] Kernel 2.6 size increase - get_current()?

From: David McCullough (davidm@snapgear.com)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 06:50:09 EST

Jivin Ihar Philips Filipau lays it down ...
> David McCullough wrote:
> >
> >A general comment on the use of inline throughout the kernel. Although
> >they may show gains on x86 platforms, they often perform worse on
> >embedded processors with limited cache, as well as adding size. I
> >can't see any way of coding around this though. As long as x86 is
> >driving influence, other platforms will jut have to deal with it as
> >best they can.
> >

> Actually I'm victim on over inlining too. Was at least.
> I was running some router on old Pentium's. I remember almost
> dramatical drop of performance with newer kernels because of inlining in
> net/*. But sure on Xeon P4 it boosts performance...
>
> Actually what I'm about.
> We have classical situation when we have mess of representation and
> intentions.
>
> Representation == 'inline', but intentions - 'inline or it will
> break' _and_ 'inline - it runs faster'.
> This obviously should be separated.

The biggest problem I see is that the inlines are done in header files
generally, and to stop them from inlining, you need to be able to
switch from an inline to a prototype in the header file. The code from
the header then needs to be added to a .o somewhere in the build for the
case where inlines are stripped out.

Other than providing non-critical inlines either on or off, I can't see
the level approach working all that well. A combination of levels that
work well on a few platforms may not work well at all on another.
Still, just the ability to reduce the inlines would be very useful.

Cheers,
Davidm

--
David McCullough, davidm@snapgear.com  Ph:+61 7 34352815 http://www.SnapGear.com