Re: [uClinux-dev] Kernel 2.6 size increase - get_current()?

From: Ihar \ (filia@softhome.net)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 03:27:51 EST

David McCullough wrote:

> A general comment on the use of inline throughout the kernel. Although
> they may show gains on x86 platforms, they often perform worse on
> embedded processors with limited cache, as well as adding size. I
> can't see any way of coding around this though. As long as x86 is
> driving influence, other platforms will jut have to deal with it as
> best they can.

   Actually I'm victim on over inlining too. Was at least.
   I was running some router on old Pentium's. I remember almost
dramatical drop of performance with newer kernels because of inlining in
net/*. But sure on Xeon P4 it boosts performance...

   Actually what I'm about.
   We have classical situation when we have mess of representation and
intentions.

   Representation == 'inline', but intentions - 'inline or it will
break' _and_ 'inline - it runs faster'.
   This obviously should be separated.

   even more.

#define INLINE_LEVEL some_platform_specific_number

---------

#define inline0 inline_always

#if INLINE_LEVEL >= 1
# define inline1 inline_always
#else
# define inline1
#endif
#if INLINE_LEVEL >= N
# define inlineN inline_always
#else
# define inlineN
#endif

    and so on, giving a platform chance to influence amount of inlining.
    better to put it into config with defined by platform defaults.