Re: [bernie@develer.com: Kernel 2.6 size increase]

From: bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 18:12:56 EST

In article <20030723200658.A27856@infradead.org>,
Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org> wrote:

| half a megabyte more codesize is a lot if you're based on flash.
| I know you absolutely disliked Andi's patch to make the xfrm subsystem
| optional so we might need find other ways to make the code smaller
| on those systems that need it. Now I could talk a lot but I'm really
| no networking insider so it's hard for me to suggest where to start.
| I'll rather look at the fs/ issue but it would be nice if networking
| folks could do their part, too.

Actually, perhaps some of the non-functional and misfunctional things
might get fixed first and save the diet for 2.6.5 or so. There is no
lack of things which haven't been quiet ported from 2.4, don't work
right, etc.

I doubt that the people who care most about size are going to be doing
a fast change to 2.6 until the dust settles.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc