Re: Tried to run 2.6.0-test1

From: Norman Diamond (ndiamond@wta.att.ne.jp)
Date: Sun Jul 20 2003 - 10:48:54 EST

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu replied to me. I'm sending this personally and to
the list. Again I can't keep up with the list, so if Mr./Ms. Kletnieks or
anyone else has further advice or questions, please contact me directly.

>> What does the thing need in order to use modules?
>
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/people/rusty/modules/

550 /pub/linux/kernel/people/people/rusty/modules/: No such file or
directory

Oh I see, two many people. After fixing that, I see a list of
module-init-tools. Hmm, modutils-2.4.21-18.src.rpm is indeed newer
than SuSE 8.1. Downloading it now and will try it after sleeping.

I guess it's just luck that Red Hat 9 had a sufficiently new modutils.

> And read http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/post-halloween-2.5.txt for
> all the OTHER stuff you might need...

DNS error.

>> By the way there are also no tones from PCMCIA during the
>> boot process so I'm pretty sure it's also not recognizing my LAN card,
>
> The 'no tones' confused me too. In 'make menuconfig', go to 'Input Device
> support', select 'Misc' - this will add an entry 'PC Speaker Support'.
> Check that, it will add CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR which should make the beeps
> return.

I have it configured as a module. I guess it will be fixed automatically
when modules start working.

> If you hit other snags, *read the post-halloween file*. Most of the
> gotchas are in there already.

All except the DNS error, which came up again while I was checking out the
rest of this. I don't think post-halloween will get here tonight.