Re: [OSDL][BENCHMARK] OSDL-DBT-2 - 2.4 vs 2.5 4-way/8-way with vmstat

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@digeo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 17:57:35 EST

Cliff White wrote:

> These loads suck up all the memory they can, so anything that gives us more
> free memory should
> be goodness. We think we are also seeing improvements in 2.5 in free memory,
> but
> we don't know for sure where is best to look and how best to prove it.
> Any advice?

Monitoring /proc/meminfo would be the main means. Further
info could be obtained by drilling down into /proc/vmstat
and /proc/slabinfo (the latter via bloatmeter, preferably).

http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/stuff/

Martin Bligh is working on another VM reporting tool `vmtop', which
would be appropriate for that as well.