Re: PATCH 2.5.x disable BAR when sizing

From: Ivan Kokshaysky (ink@jurassic.park.msu.ru)
Date: Sun Dec 22 2002 - 16:05:42 EST

On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 12:47:51PM -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Not if it is an NMI or an SCI interrupt. The latter on x86 places
> the cpu in System Management Mode, and what the cpu does from that
> point forward is out of our control.
>
> Though disabling cpu controlled IRQs help if you are dealing
> with any normal IRQs.

I meant the timer interrupt in the first place. I assumed it's the
only one that does matter on this stage of the boot process.
What else could happen (in the real world terms)?

> The window needs to be small from the PCI bus perspective, not in cpu
> clocks. Write, Read, Write is only something like 9 PCI bus clocks.

No, the window is huge from the PCI bus perspective.
IIRC, PCI config read/write on x86 works like this (I may be wrong though):
i/o port write (BAR address) ~1us
i/o port read (BAR value after writing ~0) ~1us
i/o port write (BAR address) ~1us
i/o port write (saved BAR value) ~1us

It's a little bit more than 9 PCI clocks. Am I missing something?

Ivan.