Re: Adaptec 79xx support in 2.4.x

From: Martin Knoblauch (@mscsoftware.com)
Date: Fri Dec 20 2002 - 04:03:03 EST

> Adaptec 79xx support in 2.4.x
>
> From: Walt H (waltabbyh@mindspring.com)
> Date: Thu Dec 19 2002 - 23:21:42 EST

> Hello,
>
> I have a Tyan Thunder K7XPro based server with the onboard AIC7902
> controllers. At the present time, its is running 2.4.19 patched with
> Adaptec's source release for the SCSI support. Adaptec's drivers did not
> seamlessly integrate into the 2.4.19 kernel. I found an old mail
> stating that support for this chipset would be added eventually. It
> doesn't appear to be added to the 2.4 series yet. Is there something I
> should be concerned about with regards to my server? The overall
> performance and stability seem fine so far, but it is a relatively new
> box with only about 1 month in production - so far so good :)
>
> According to Justin at Adaptec, the source has been given to both Linus
> and Marcelo. I'd sure like to see it in mainline to avoid having to hack
> it in there as it stands. Thanks.
>
> -Walt

 I would like to second that request. Those 7902 pop up in a lot of new
motherboards recently and not having them in mailine is a PITA.

 The driver itself seems to be OK, but there seems to be a higher
sensitivity to cabling and drive quality that with U160. I am just now
fighting with some FUJITSU MAP3735NC on a SuperMicro P4DP8-G2
motherboard that only work OK when running at 160 MB/s.

My two Eurocent
Martin