2.4.21-pre2 hdparm Kernel Oops

From: Bob (gillb4@telusplanet.net)
Date: Fri Dec 20 2002 - 03:58:27 EST

Hi. I haven't seen any discussions about the 2.4.21-pre1 and pre2
kernels kernel panicing when you execute
/sbin/hdparm -d1 -c3 -m16 -k1 /dev/hdb
/sbin/hdparm -d1 -c3 -m16 -k1 /dev/hda

(where /dev/hda contains both my boot and root partitions).

I ran this command in a startup script to improve disk performance. It
would cause the kernel to panic on startup. I commented it out of the
script, and the newly built kernels would startup and run OK, but when I
went back and re-ran the script (with the now running system), it would
crash the box. I installed a new version of hdparm (5.3) to make sure
it wasn't an old version problem.

Thanks in advance, apologies if it's already been looked at, or if it's
just me.

Bob