Re: swsusp: don't eat ide disks

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 14:39:22 EST

In article <20021102184735.GA179@elf.ucw.cz>,
Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:

>Here's patch to prevent random scribling over disks during
>suspend... In the meantime alan killed (unreferenced at that time)
>idedisk_suspend() and idedisk_release(), so I have to reintroduce
>them.

I _still_ haven't gotten an explanation for the difference between the
do_xxx_suspend and xxxx_suspend, and why we have both.

> Should I go ahead and kill do_idedisk_suspend and related code?

Please. Along with an explanation of what the differences are, and who
cares, and who calls which, and why having two different versions aren't
needed any more (or if they _are_ needed, explain that). Right now I'm
not applying this patch just because I want an explanation of it (like I
did last time).

The two different cases are just too confusing, I want to be unconfused.

                Thanks,
                        Linus