Re: What's left over.

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 11:32:43 EST

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 11:16:20AM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Alexander Viro wrote:
> > It's not a fscking public service. Linus has full control over his
> > tree. You have equally full control over your tree. Linus can't
> > tell you what patches to apply in your tree. You can't tell Linus
> > what patches he should apply to his.
>
> I'm sorry it _is_ a public service. Once tens of people started
> contributing to it, it became one.

Pat, the public service that Linus provides is doing exactly what he does.
He's acting as a filter. You may or may not agree with the things he
lets in or does not. That's fine, if you think you can do a better job
you have that option. i can imagine your answer is "I think he's doing
a fine job except for my project which isn't getting in" or something
like that. That's a bummer for you but keep the big picture in mind.
Linus is the glue which keeps the Linux world from turning into the
BSD mess. He is the acknowledged leader. Without him we have a bunch
of semi-leaders, with him we have a real leader. The fact that Linus
is here, leading this herd of cats, is a gift to the world. Try and
imagine Linux without him, it's not a pretty picture.

So figure out a way to work with him, don't stress him out, he's a
critical resource without a viable replacement.

--
---