Re: What's left over.

From: Chris Friesen (cfriesen@nortelnetworks.com)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 13:10:07 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> In particular when it comes to this project, I'm told about
> "netdump", which doesn't try to dump to a disk, but over the net.
> And quite frankly, my immediate reaction is to say "Hell, I
> _never_ want the dump touching my disk, but over the network
> sounds like a great idea".
>
> To me this says "LKCD is stupid". Which means that I'm not going to apply
> it, and I'm going to need some real reason to do so - ie being proven
> wrong in the field.

How do you deal with netdump when your network driver is what caused the
crash?

Ideally I would like to see a dump framework that can have a number of
possible dump targets. We should be able to dump to any combination of
network, serial, disk, flash, unused ram that isn't wiped over restarts,
etc...

Chris

--
Chris Friesen                    | MailStop: 043/33/F10
Nortel Networks                  | work: (613) 765-0557