Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Squashfs released (a highly compressed filesystem)

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 23:15:50 EST

Larry McVoy wrote:

>>A r/w compressed filesystem would be darned useful too :)
>>

>mmap(2) is, err, hard.

The underlying filesystem format can make things easier on you... and
given that compressing inevitably requires some amount of data copying,
it's not terribly difficult. I wouldn't claim NTFS is anything close to
well-designed, but supporting compression under Linux on NTFS is at
least feasible and shouldn't require tons of thought. (I've looked at
it when dicking around with NTFS-TNG)

> Not impossible, it means the file system has to
>support both compressed and uncompressed files, but it's interesting.

well, yeah... ;-)

    Jeff