Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Squashfs released (a highly compressed filesystem)

From: Jesse Pollard (pollard@admin.navo.hpc.mil)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 09:53:09 EST

On Tuesday 29 October 2002 10:11 pm, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > A r/w compressed filesystem would be darned useful too :)
>
> mmap(2) is, err, hard. Not impossible, it means the file system has to
> support both compressed and uncompressed files, but it's interesting.

You can also think of it as a step toward a hierarchical filesystem with the
files:
        1. uncompressed (with uncompressed inode)
        2. compressed on line (real disk space allocated)
        3. compressed nearline (only compressed inode on disk, with a
        reference to offline storage)

Obviously this is only for very large filesystems (we have one FS that
is currently between 100-200 TB in size when you include the migrated
storage).

Jesse I Pollard, II
Email: pollard@navo.hpc.mil