Re: rtnetlink interface state monitoring problems.

From: jamal (hadi@cyberus.ca)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 07:35:01 EST

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Maksim (Max) Krasnyanskiy wrote:

> >netlink is a messaging system; so what i am thinking is creating
> >a event notifier for other devices other than network devices.
> >Something other non-network devices could use (eg bluetooth).
>
> What kind of events are we taking about ?

Currently, for net events, notifier_call_chain() calls from the same
routines which also send netlink announcements. I am thinking actually
having notifier_call_chain make the netlink advertisements.
There are not that many subsystems that use notifier block calls (seems
the network subsytem is their best customer ;->)
i think it is the best async notification scheme in the kernel. Too bad
someone had to invent hotplug the way it is right now.
As i said earlier, the advantage with netlink is that you could easily
add a distributed event notification scheme since it is already in packet
format.

cheers,
jamal