Re: Swap doesn't work

From: Tim Tassonis (timtas@cubic.ch)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 07:22:25 EST

On 27 Oct 2002 21:17:34 +0000
Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 2002-10-27 at 19:41, Tim Tassonis wrote:
> > Not that I would know better or have an idea why this bug happens, but
> > to say "Bugger off if you have an lfs system" is a bit lousy, I think.
> > After all, lfs has not really an "unstrusted toolchain", as compared
> > to RH/Suse's/Debian "trustworthy computing toolchains":
>
> I get bugs that are clearly caused by miscompiled tool chains from Linux
> from scratch people. I trust the RH, SuSE and Debian tool chains because
> they have any neccessary patches applied for compiler bugs and they are
> running against a properly built glibc and binutils.
>
> If you simply grab the latest and greatest of everything from
> ftp.gnu.org then quite often it won't work.

That's certainly true and before claiming a kernel bug, I would try
against a Red Hat System personally. Still, lfs does have gcc patches
included, it's not just cvs checkout from the relevant packages. It also
seems to have a sane order of compiling everything.

> If you'd like to me to spend hours debugging an LFS system where its
> probably a tool error, then you can ask for current hourly rates.

That wasn't actually my idea. And you are right, before claiming a kernel
bug one should probably always try to reproduce it against a different
system.

Bye
Tim